Thursday, September 24, 2009

Ham Radio License Test

For the last several weeks I've been attending a Thursday night prep class for taking the ham license exam. The prep class was geared for folks wanting to attain the Extra Class license.... I needed to get my Technician License, and then my General before even thinking about Extra.

Over the last few days I've tried to squeeze in several online practice exams (morning, lunch, and evening). The question pools are published and aren't that large so with enough practice exams you get to see the entire question pool. I was also reading study manuals that contained the question pools with answer. By test night, I was routinely passing the Technician level test with a 90+% and failing the General level test by 1 or 2 questions.

During the test session, I passed the Technician level test with flying colors so I went ahead and tried the General level test. It doesn't cost anything extra to try the next high level test. Low and behold... I passed that with a respectable score also. Since I needed to pack for Gulfport I didn't take the time to try the Extra Class test since I had not studied specifically for it other than attend some lectures. There are monthly opportunities to take tests in the area so after I study I'll give it a try.